Real Alternatives exists to provide life-affirming pregnancy and parenting support services throughout the nation. These compassionate support services empower women to protect their reproductive health, avoid crisis pregnancies, choose childbirth rather than abortion, receive adoption education, and improve parenting skills.
Real Alternatives is the non-profit, charitable organization that administers the Pregnancy and Parenting Support Services for the states of Pennsylvania and Indiana.
The General Assembly of Pennsylvania in FY 2021/2022 funds its program at $7.263 million through the Pennsylvania Department of Human Services. The State of Indiana in FY 2021/2022 funds its program at $2.5 million through the Indiana State Department of Health.
The Pregnancy and Parenting Support Services Programs in Pennsylvania and Indiana are made up of a statewide or regional network of social service agencies, pregnancy support centers, maternity residences and adoption agencies that offer comprehensive, life-affirming alternatives to abortion to women dealing with unplanned pregnancies.
Service Providers with their 78 centers located throughout Pennsylvania and 21 centers in Indiana are staffed with fully trained, caring, and compassionate counselors. These Service Providers are non-discriminatory, non-profit organizations that are monitored annually to ensure compliance with the Department of Public Welfare standards.
More than 420,000 women in Pennsylvania and Indiana have been served since the program began in March 1996. Through their counselors, the centers offer free and confidential support, encouragement, guidance and practical assistance to women so they do not need to choose abortion.
- Confidential counseling and mentoring
- Non-judgmental atmosphere of understanding and support
- Clothing, food, and furniture pantries
- Temporary shelter
- Pregnancy, childbirth, and parenting classes
- Referrals to other community agencies and medical resources
- Abstinence education to modify risky lifestyle behavior
- Adoption information
- Other related services necessary for the well-being of the mother and child
In The News
- Pennsylvania’s model program surpassed 25 years showing America at its best! Providing pregnancy support to over 333,000 women and saving the state billions in health care costs!
- Real Alternatives has once again earned the Seal of Excellence for successfully completing the Standards of Excellence recertification program sponsored by the Pennsylvania Association of Nonprofit Organizations (PANO). This recertification again identifies Real Alternatives as an ethical and accountable organization dedicated to the highest level of excellence within the nonprofit sector. Read more..
- Real Alternatives Finalist – 5th Annual Non-Profit Innovation Award Read more…
- Watch Real Alternatives: Empowering Women for Life
- Pennsylvania’s model program surpassed 25 years showing America at its best! Providing pregnancy support to over 325,000 women and saving the state billions in health care costs!